THE WORLD ENVIRONTMENT DAY: JUNE 5TH 2022: The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) Annually and stakeholders organizes events for World Environment Day, which encourages worldwide awareness and action for the protection of the environment. It is celebrated every 5th June each year in over 100 countries. The theme for this year's celebration of World Environment Day is 'Only One Earth.' This was also the slogan for the 1972 conference at Stockholm which led to the birth of the annual global event on June 5. World Environment Day is the largest global platform for environmental public outreach and is celebrated by millions of people across the world. In Kenya the National celebration will be held in Nyeri County. The National Council of NGOs of Kenya takes this opportunity to appreciate the Ministry of environment and Forestry, all our national and international NGOs/CSOs and other key stakeholders working on Environment and related actions. As the world marks this day The NGOs Council and all its NGO/CSOs Members re-affirms its commitment to the environmental conservation and related actions for the betterment of our world.
Our NGOs and environmental conservations stakeholders and members of the society during this important may engage in one or some of the following activities:
1) Create awareness and sensitize communities on the need to conserve environment through organized forums, one on one Meetings or Media/social and local dailies
2) Planting trees in your communities with community members and leaders especially fruit trees etc.
3) Conduct community clean ups of all wastes, remove plastics in the water sources and garbage collection
4) Collecting and recycling wastes in our environments
5) Conduct dialogues with community leaders and on the need to conserve the environment
6) Procure, distribute and use clean energy sources such as Energy saving stoves, solar energy, thermal & biogas, make briquettes from wastes and make crafts from plastics
6) Go Paperless in our offices by reducing printing, go digital and have waste disposal points in your compound.
7) Integrate Environment activities in some of our programs such as Fruit trees growing, vegetable growing and Climate Smart Agriculture etc.
8) Capacity building of young people and community Members and leaders to be environment and climate change champions.
9) Print and disseminate awareness and communication materials such as t-shirts, manillas, message boards, fact sheets among others with messages.
10) Conduct social media campaigns through tweetcharts,webinars,facebook live etc
12) Among other environmental related actions.
We appreciate all for the great work; let’s keep doing great work in environmental conserving our environment. Thank you and May God bless you:
Stephen K. Cheboi- Chairman NGO Council of Kenya
Contacts: 0721843924 /0722450798 /0733298969